Thursday, May 3, 2012

Hill Training – 3 May 2012

Route: 2 laps around Taman Desa Seputeh
Distance: 2 * 4km = 8km (Garmin: 8.6km)
Timing: 47:10 for 5:29 min/km pace

Coldish start to the morning after the overnight rain (yeah, the same one that washed out yesterday’s adiNation Training Run). We started earlier than usual since Kenny has started at his new place and needs to be in the office by 8:30. 2 laps around Taman Desa Seputeh but we decided to tackle the furniture loop first instead of slotting it in the end – crossing the road, even a minor/offshoot one, later in the morning can be “hazardous” and “deadly” given the number of motorcyclists, some of whom have a “devil may care” attitude. The state of our motorists.

Warm up: House to train station via furniture mall loop (921m; 6:11)
It was refreshing to warm up on a flat route instead of huffing and puffing up the Taman Desa Seputeh incline – no wonder my legs were happy during last week’s recovery run! Why didn’t anyone tell me this before???!!!

Lap 1 (3.369km; 18:37)
We spent the first km chatting about tomorrow’s Alpha course (I’m still iffy on attending on account of work commitments) – it kind of takes your mind off the climb. More climbing in the second km. More climbing of the LONG and all the WAY UP slope for most of km2. Short but STEEP EXTREMELY STEEP climb in km3 before being rewarded with a downhill.

Lap 2 (3.354km; 17:28)
Back to reality in the second lap. Km1 climb. Le sigh. Kenny dropped back slightly. Repeat of Lap 1 although I found repeating this mantra: “smaller steps, shorter steps, high cadence” helped with tackling the climb at km3.

Finishing mile: Train station to and around the furniture mall loop (952m; 4:49)
Decided to give the furniture mall a whizz since I was early and the legs didn’t feel too bad (only the glutes…so far…are sore. Darn you DOMS!). This way, Kenny and I would finish at about the same time.

WARNING: GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION COMING UP. SKIP THE REST OF THE POST IF YOU WANT.

My toes are thanking me for wearing the KSOs this morning…until we hit the showers at the gym. I’m thinking of popping the blisters to relieve the pressure but the thought of sliding a needle under the nails sounds too bloody (literally!) unbearable. Sorry for the graphic description! You were warned.

Thursday’s Mantra: 3Rs - Rest, Re-hydrate, Re-fuel.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What time did you start? I was sick on that day, minor headache, but decided to go for a jog, because the temperature was just too good.

However today (Sunday) I had really hard time. I wanted to run 10km for the first time after my long break, but just couldn't do it. After 8km I was so thirsty and dizzy. I guess I will need to carry some water.