Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Post SCKLM 2012 Training

Tuesday and today were all about legs; it was good to take Monday off.

Post SCKLM Recovery Run (Not!) – 26 June 2012

Route: 2 laps around Taman Desa Seputeh + 1 lap around Taman Seputeh
Distance: 2 * 4km + 2km = 10km (Garmin: 9.75km)
Timing: 52:06 for 5:20 min/km pace

After bailing out on Monday’s run, there was no way I could have skipped this though it was iffy if the legs could hold up. Kenny did offer to run a flattish route instead of our usual brutal hill slopes at Taman Desa Seputeh. I declined and no, I was not delirious, feverish or hallucinating at this point! Part of me felt really bad about bailing out on the previous day’s run, part of me didn’t want to throw a spanner to his training for the Ipoh half-mary and part of me wanted to flush the lactic acid out (my own theory which in all likelihood is half-baked!).

Warm up: House to train station via furniture mall (892m; 5:38)
Looks like Kenny was in race mode but the legs were SURPRISINGLY “fresh” or as fresh as it could be under the circumstances and I managed to keep up (more or less).

Lap 1 (3.407km; 18:03)
Let’s not get suicidal and blow up here; keep Kenny within distance but bail out if he decides to go suicidal. Narrowed the distance on the last upslope (km2.5; the steepest of the steepest – consolation was it was a short 200-300m).

Lap 2 (3.397km; 17:44)
Darn it! The guy had a sudden surge and powered ahead but was still in sight although that gap was wider now. And I rolled my left ankle after km3 which is a sign from the higher ups that I should call it a day after this? Yeah, why not…after all, we did clock a high mileage last week – including a 15km on Saturday, before Sunday’s race (this is how daft I can get!).

Finishing mile: Train station to house via Old Klang Road loop (2.040km; 10:37)
Right, plan and intention: run a loop around the furniture mall to finish things off.

Reality: plans got derailed by a biker i.e. I couldn’t cross the lane onto the road. Any sane individual would have stopped and waited for traffic to ease. Like I said, I was (and am) dafty. So like any loony person in such a situation, I ran ahead knowing very well that there was a 500-800m killer slope at km2 of this section / at Jalan Taman Bukit Desa and the possibility of stray dogs.

Fluking Wednesday’s Training

Title says it all and I’ve no justification excuses to offer. It could be the hill training yesterday but unlikely. Nutrition? Random off day? Broke, sprained, strained my foot during Sunday’s race and didn’t realize? Put on 956,359,216,890,766,559,783 kg? Why didn’t you people tell me????? I knew those Hershey’s Dark Chocolate were trouble! And again, why didn’t anyone stop me?????!!!

Michael switching things up? That’s even less plausible since we went slightly under the heaviest weight.

Michael decided that today was going to be a “High Reps” day but kept the weight plates loaded or maybe just under the usual. You should read this as “minus 2 lbs”. 20 reps and 4 sets of:

Single sets of:
a) Cybex plate loaded leg squat press (it can’t be a great start if this was the opening number of today’s play but you know what…it actually worked!)
b) Smith machine squats (fluked after rep 15)
c) Technogym leg extension (fluked after rep 15 AGAIN!!! What is it with leg extensions and my quads????? I would rather we load up on the weights but Michael ABSOLUTELY REFUSED)
d) Cybex prone leg curl

Supersets of:
e) Nautilus Nitro Hip Adduction (wah…fluke shots coming up!)
f) Nautilus Nitro Hip Abduction (much better…thank heavens!)

Single set of:
g) Cybex Eagle Abdominal

No lunges, split lunges, jumping squats. Crap! I can’t believe I missed those quad burning moves! [evidence of daft]

I should re-suggest we do 2 leg workouts in a week so we can cover all the moves. [evidence of daft]

Bento Box Lunch

Steamed rice (a rarity!) and stir fried mix veg

No comments: