Thursday, June 21, 2012

One run after another…the story of my life

Caught you there, didn’t I? Catchy title, no? Oh just me?

adiNation Training Run – 20 June 2012

Attendees:
a) Boss Ronnie*
b) Lai
c) Vijay
d) Chin Ann
e) Vijay’s friend
Route: 4 laps around Lake Gardens
Distance: 4 * 2.3km = 9.2km (Garmin: 8.76km – GPS signal picked up late)
Timing: 49:31 for 5:22 min/km pace
*on his own; time trial

Lap 1 (2.3km; 13:49)
On paper, the legs were in no shape or size to run, not after the morning’s session but I need to get away from the office. Yeah, things were that bad. Made my way to LG and spotted Chin Ann, Vijay and his friend – figured I would do a one-lap warm up with them since Adam hadn’t arrived.

Lap 2 (2.269km; 12:29)
Chin Ann had dropped back into the second km of lap 1 and the 3 of us continued into lap 2, still chatting and all sorts. None of us wanted to do anything speedy; Vijay is adopting a more cautious approach to his runs these 2 weeks seeing the Gold Coast Marathon is next weekend and I was…you know, you know.

Lap 3 (2.273km; 11:42)
Some chatting peppered in; still no sign of Adam although we saw Ronnie on the upslope near the waterfall - giving some pointers to some runners? Vijay’s friend wanted to take a water break after this but told us to go ahead.

Lap 4 (2.260km; 11:29)
Vijay and I bumped into Lai about 500m into the lap. I thought it was odd that he was walking and we urged him to run along with us and he did although dropping back just after the midway point.

Yay! Just discovered that we negative-d splitted (is that a word???) yesterday. Had a lovely chat with Suresh (the walker) after the run and he was telling me about his DQ at the Starwalk over the weekend. Bummer.

Short Hill Training – 21 June 2012

Route: 1 lap around Taman Desa
Distance: 6km (Garmin: 5.94km)
Timing: 31:46 for 5:20 min/km pace

I had serious misconception of starting this run; actually more the distance I could manage (I thought 4km!). Legs were lead heavy and the left calf was super funky – I had trouble walking down the stairs when I woke up and thought about calling the run off.

Suck it up Buttercup! No, actually running is probably less achy/sore for the calf vs walking…or descending the stairs. And the local council really need to fix those street lights along Jalan Taman Desa (or is it Jalan Desa?) – it was Operation Avoid-Face-Planting-on-Asphalt at 6 am. This was promptly followed by Operation Roll-the-Heck-out-of-the-Calf after that.

And it’s about time I get back to catching up on my snooze work.

Thursday’s Mantra: 3Rs - Rest, Re-hydrate, Re-fuel.

No comments: