Thursday, May 31, 2012

I hate Leg Workouts

Why do I let Michael put me through this agony, week after week, month after month???!!! Yesterday's killer workout:

Single sets of:
a) Smith machine squats (I half-a**ed this because I can’t get my form correct! My butt absolutely refuses to be pushed back or rather my tummy decides to jut out front. Oh yeah, the 45-75-100lbs plate weights didn’t help either. Since it was half-baked, Michael made me do full squats for a drop set at the end…with 25 plate weights!)
b) Cybex plate loaded leg squat press (glutes started to stretch from the first set)
c) Kettlebell and DB walking lunges (the leg squat press did me in because I could feel my quads and glutes burning on this)
d) Technogym leg extension (felt heavy on the first set and I was wondering why 45 was not do-able. It was 50.)
e) Cybex Eagle prone leg curl (90? Never started with that! E.V.E.R.)
f) Abs crunches on fit ball

Back to the Hills – 31 May 2012

Part 1 here. I’m a glutton for punishment because despite the light drizzle (if it’s raining before I start a run, I back out), Kenny bailing out due to the aforementioned rain and nursing DOMS from Michael’s killer workout…I was pounding the exact same route as Tuesday at the exact same start time. Lo behold…a marginal 1 sec improvement to the average pace! Slight change by kicking off the 2 laps first and tackling the final hill after some “recovery time” around the furniture mall loop.

Route: 2 laps around Taman Desa Seputeh + 1 lap around Taman Seputeh
Distance: 2 * 4km + 2km = 10km (Garmin: 9.53km)
Timing: 51:30 for 5:24 min/km pace
Warm up: House to train station (391m; 2:38)
Taking it nice and easy since (1) warm up and (2) more MOST importantly, and the tunnel wasn’t lighted!!!

Lap 1 (3.368km; 18:34)
I definitely felt the quads this morning but not the glutes. I better not say anything to jinx that! BTW, anyone notice that while it’s “easier” powering up inclines but just about 10-20m to the top, it’s so so so much (like bazillions) times tougher? Oh, just me? Not sure if my tank is empty or if it’s always that much steeper at the top. If it’s the former, then I’ve a whole lot of work to put in. That drizzle? More or less killed itself just 300m into the first km. Waved hi, said “Good Morning” to quite a few folks this morning – hey, it’s the first lap…taking it easier + not wiped out yet.

Lap 2 (3.403km; 17:49)
Looks like the dogs were back in action this morning. A white small one ran out from the compound about 200m into the first km…and again on the return journey. Did I mention that when dogs run out of their usual “hiding spot”, they bark like nobody’s business and chase you??? Thereafter, your HR goes into 250 (plus minus 50%) and since you did a leg workout the previous day, leg turnover can be compromised??? Ok, over-dramatizing it…I was lucky the dog was kinda trained and only moved 10m; then again, that’s no excuse for irresponsible owners and unaccompanied dogs on roads.

Finishing mile: Train station to house via Old Klang Road loop (2.363km; 12:24)
More dogs on the 1km stretch along Jalan Bukit Desa Utama (?) (I need to watch out for the signboard the next time!) but at least the ones making the most noise were in the shop compound. Though there was one that ran across the road as I was about to start the first climb (there’s at least 3-4 climbs on this 600m stretch!!!) – white dog (what’s with that colour scheme today???) – no barking, no chasing. Kenny’s dog perhaps? Sorry, never had a dog growing up…so all of them look the same to me. Again that last hill killed me! Which also equates to glute workout! Yeah, definitely feeling it then.

And now. And probably this afternoon. And again tonight. And tomorrow.

Bento Box Lunch

Picked this up (Chinese pastry biscuit with malty filling) from BMS Organics on the way home yesterday. Looks like today’s tea snack is covered.


Thursday’s Mantra: 3Rs - Rest, Re-hydrate, Re-fuel.

No comments: