Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Racing the Hills aka Hill Training – 20 March 2012

Route: 2 laps around Taman Desa Seputeh
Distance: 2 * 4km = 8km (Garmin: 8.06km)
Timing: 42:41 for 5:17 min/km pace

I’m bereft of sanity. There, I said it.

Given the option of a flattish and a hilly route, I picked the latter. Way to go, girl…especially after Sunday’s disastrous outing. Or maybe I just wasn’t in the mood to battle the Old Klang Road headwinds. Whatever…the show has to go on.

Warm up: House to train station (420m; 2:52)
Not exactly a warm up since Kenny went at a fast clip. Crap-a-listic…and we’re just starting.

Lap 1 (3.347km; 17:52)
<insert OMG moment and the realization that I might have to crawl, bail out etc any moment>

The fast clip went even faster. And fastest on the %^&*$@ slopes. What is it with guys (yes, Ronnie, I’m looking at you!) and hills??? What’s with the “kill the hills” mantra??? Can someone please enlighten me??? I thought it was about MAINTAINING EFFORT, not pace…at the rate these guys are going, it’s not even about maintaining pace and looks (and feels) like negative splitting.

Lap 2 (3.334km; 17:10)
Whew! One down and another one to go; surprisingly, the legs (and all other bodily functions) felt good. I was still running with Kenny…and FYI, side-by-side, rather than trailing (!) him. We split on the downhill at km2. Major mistake. Should. Have. Ran. Together. Because. At km3+. 2 stray dogs. Came. At. Me.

Finishing mile: Train station to and around the furniture mall loop (958m; 4:44)
The most stop-start Garmin has ever encountered. Yes, I was being anal and kept clicking away when I allowed for motorcyclist and car traffic and intersections. Let me repeat the previous commentary on lap 2: Should. Have. Ran. Together. Because. Another stray dog. Came. At. Me.

Three dogs within 1km was just too much despite the earlier irrationality…glimmer of hope!...called it the day at 8km and finished up with some easy cross training on the elliptical at the gym.

Today’s Bento Box Lunch: {homemade} multigrain toastie with guacamole, soy floss and grilled veg

No comments: