Thursday, January 19, 2012

adiNation Training Run and Thursday’s Tempo

adiNation Training Run – 18 January 2012

Attendees:
a) “Boss” Ronnie
b) Wern Tian
c) Suresh**
d) Vijay**
 
Route: Outer lap + 1 lap around Lake Gardens
Distance: 3.7km + 2.3km = 6km (Garmin: 5.98km)
Timing: 32:15 for 5:23 min/km pace

** - 2 laps each of 2.8km and 2.3km around LG

Outer Lap (3.704km; 21:09 min)
The guys ganged up on me for the recce of the route for the Pacemakers’ Relay Run since I had the Garmin. My shins were pissed from the previous day’s progressive and I wasn’t really in the right frame of mind to run – in fact, I came to a dead halt after 10m and walked! Yes, Boss and Wern Tian had the same aghast look as yours now. So what the guys do? Kicked me in the butt and dragged me up the Carcosa route. Yeah somehow I did managed to finish the loop.

Summary: littered with hills, upslopes, whatever you call them. Steep ones. Throw in some sharp turns.

My take: climbs and hills are ok; heck, there’re part and parcel of the game we call running. I’m not a fan of sharp turns, many sharp turns – they do nothing for the hips. Mine at least. Oh, maybe it’s just my wide hips that ache for the next 2 days after races with the turns.

LG Lap (2.274km; 11:04 min)
Since I wasn’t in the “zone”, I called for a time out and did one lap around the lake while the guys did another of the outer lap. If Boss wasn’t around and if I didn’t have to write this report/post, I would have called it a day. Hey, a three point seven zero four km is still a RUN!

Guess what…the splits were pretty good – under 5 min/km pace. I guess I wanted to get it over and done with.

Tempo-ish Run – 19 January 2012

Route: BA > Bird Park > Planetarium > National Mosque > Bird Park > LG + 2 laps around Lake Gardens

Distance: 4.8km + 2 laps * 2.3km = 9.4km (Garmin: 9.35km)
Timing: 48:41 for 5:12 min/km pace

You know I surprise myself sometimes most times 100% of the time. I gave myself a wide berth on today’s route – short warm up + yoga or easy run of whichever distance (Planetarium, LG, Carcosa etc). The point was I could bail out at any of the intersections if yesterday’s not-so-funky mood pervades. Somehow, I knew I would finish a 9-10km because I woke up feeling better and fresh – that’s why rest and recovery should be item nummer eins in training manuals! The Hershey’s Dark Chocolate I had after dinner helped tremendously too. Just saying. Just saying. BTW, it’s only 30 calories; I checked. What? You think I would just about dump anything with 1,000,000,000,000 calories into my body? I was down but not that crazy! Ok, that’s a blatant lie.

BA > Bird Park > Planetarium > National Mosque > Bird Park > LG (4.788km; 25:24 min)
Get the hills out of the way and maybe call it a day after that. Head for yoga. Like I said, gave myself plenty of room to maneuver.

LG Lap 1 (2.289km; 11:40 min)
Ok, feeling ok-ish but I don’t want to do the Carcosa route. I’m done with hills for the week. Mizuno. Tuesday’s progressive. Yesterday’s adiNation. Yoga? Hmmm…

LG Lap 2 (2.274km; 11:34 min)
No, no yoga…let’s wrap it up and let’s not be anal on hitting 10km.

Other news
Thursday’s Mantra: 3Rs - Rest, Re-hydrate, Re-fuel.

No comments: