Thursday, July 14, 2011

adiNation Training Run – 13 July 2011 & Taman Desa Run – 14 July 2011

adiNation Training Run – 13 July 2011

Attendees:

a) “Boss” Ronnie

b) Group Lead Kei Ming

c) Lai

d) Aron

e) KK

f) Vijay

g) Melvin

Distance: 4 laps * 2.3km = 9.2km (Garmin: 9.08km)

Timing: 48:51 for 5:22 min/km pace

Lap 1

This was a warm up – I took the opportunity to chat with KK about his plans for next year. Hint: Air Asia is running a promotion and he is planning to sign up for Paris and has put his name down for balloting for London. Way to go KK, our “international” runner. Boss, Kei Ming and Aron had sped ahead – I found out later that their split for this lap was 11+ minutes – that’s like my fast split! Holy smoke!

Laps 2 and 3

Lai joined us in the second lap, Melvin in the third while KK had dropped off towards the end of lap 1. We kept the pace steady at around 12+ min – fairly comfortable although we were hitting negative splits. Melvin tried to increase the pace and this prompted some face saving measure by Lai but Vijay and I kept to our pace. What is it with guys??? Lai was constantly checking his watch which I think added to his anxiety; that and since this was his first post Gold Coast run, saw him fading halfway into lap 3. Looks like his original plan for a slow and steady 5 laps went up in smoke! Melvin had also dropped off towards the end and it was just Vijay and I into lap 4.

Lap 4

Vijay decided to increase the pace; unfortunately I am not at his level yet and wasn’t able to match his pace. I was about 20 meters back at the turnaround but this distance gradually turned into 50, 80 and then 100. Oh well, still a good effort considering this was my second consecutive day running. For those of you who know me, I try not to run on consecutive days to let the muscles rest/recover.

But hey, all in timing of 48 minutes ain’t too bad especially since lap 1 was basically a chit-chat session.

Taman Desa Run – 14 July 2011

Distance: 6km (Garmin juice ran out after km1)

Timing: 32:19 for 5:23 min/km pace

I was up early (oh wait…I get up early everyday anyway!) for a “date” with Kenny. Oh wow, third consecutive day of running! Record breaking stunt here! Anyway, I wasn’t sure if I could manage a tempo-ish + hill training this morning after yesterday’s workout and run but I was there at 6:15 and there was no choice but to run!

Kenny thinks we need to move on to the next level of training i.e. run as fast as him. Woah man…that’s not the next level but 10 levels up! And so, he took off at a blistering pace and way ahead for the entire journey. 6km didn’t seem as daunting when I first of this morning’s menu but quickly changed my mind when we got onto Old Klang Road and seeing Kenny’s head bopping in front – about 100m. So much pressure to keep up! In the end, I decided to pace off him – faster than my usual pace which should be good enough. Even more surprising was powering up the Taman Desa 2km uphill; looks like the legs were holding up notwithstanding some sore glutes. I guess I do need this type of training a.k.a training on slightly fatigued legs to build up my endurance. Let’s see how this pans out in the coming weeks. The initial back-to-back evening run + morning run were so tough and difficult that I had to bail out a few times but things seem to be getting better or rather the body has been adapting progressively. Just look at this morning’s numbers! Faster than my previous back-to-back on the same 9.2km and 6km combo.

Rest day tomorrow! Or rather, no running! It’ll probably be functional training with Michael in the morning – cross train, rest and recover before Saturday’s LSD or mid-distance run. Fingers crossed, I won’t fade out there!

No comments: