Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Learning from Hatha Yoga 101

I attended the Level 1 class on Sunday after my run. It was a refreshing change from my usual Vinyasa Flow or Hatha 2 class and I found Richard giving a bit more explanations on the various poses vs the anatomy etc. Each yoga pose includes various levels of difficulties and can be modified to suit individual abilities or limitations; it is definitely something everyone can (and should!) do. Same thing with running or working out – move to your own pace, do not try to emulate anyone, be present in the moment and savour it. Ok, I need to work on that last mantra during runs because all I can think of is “where is the finish line?”, “are we done yet?”, “where is the finish line?”, “how much longer?”, “where is the finish line?”, “I can’t take it anymore”, “where is the finish line?”.

We kicked off the class with 10 sets of sun salutations and before you go “aarrgghhh” on me, let me explain: 10 sets of a different kind of sun salutations – backbends, runner’s stretch and modified push-ups. We went through backbends, forward bends, open stances, hip openers and ended the session with a shoulder stand before Savagsana. I think Richard may have tailored the class for me since he knew I came after my run because we went through the series of quadriceps, hamstrings and hip flexor stretches. Good stuff. But so off topic here. Yes, that’s me rambling…again…for the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000th time.

Now, more rambling on this morning’s workout. Oh wait, at least I can say I work on it to my own feeble pace/strength.

Supersets of:

a) Smith machine squats (failed on the third and fourth sets – could not go lower)

b) Cybex plate loaded squat press

Supersets of:

c) Hoist leg extension (another failure! Oh why are leg extensions so difficult for me?!)

d) Hoist seated leg curl

Supersets of:

e) Technogym cable overhead shoulder press

f) DB lateral raise

Supersets of:

g) Technogym cable rear delt

h) Technogym cable upright row

Supersets of:

i) Ab crunches on Bosu

j) Plank on palms

No comments: