Thursday, October 14, 2010

adiNation Training Run – 13 October 2010

Attendees:

a) “Boss” Ronnie

b) “Group Lead” Kei Ming

c) Lai

d) Fauzan (after a long hiatus! Great to see him!)

e) Datuk Yaziz and Adam (bumped into them on lap 3)

f) Wern Tian

Distance: 4 laps * 2.3km = 9.2km (Garmin: 9.18km)

Timing: 50:16 min for 5:28 min/km pace

Lap 1

The heat and humidity yesterday evening was blistering to say the least, so I wasn’t expecting to blaze through the laps without cursing and swearing (to myself) or hit a superb timing (though that has happened on one or two occasions – fluke shots!). We were running pretty much together during this lap and only Fauzan ran ahead just before the bridge. It was a slow easy pace to get the body and legs warmed up.

Lap 2

Ronnie and Lai increased their pace and started to pull away although they were still in sight (maybe 50-100 meters ahead). It was still a relaxed pace taking into account the temperature and the fact that the “engine” has warmed up.

Lap 3

The temperature had come down by then and I was just 2-3 steps behind Kei Ming for lap 3 – when running with a group or someone, I prefer to keep to the back just so I could have a target.

Lap 4

As I have not been training or running intensely for the past 10 days, the fatigue crept in quicker – lap 4 (when it used to be fairly comfortable). The margin between Kei Ming and I widened about 500 meters going into lap 4. This was also the lap where I bumped into Wern Tian – naturally, he overtook both Kei Ming and me. All in, I was elated to come in within the 50-minute mark although Lai commented post-run that I should target a sub-46 minutes or a sub-5 minute pace. We will see how things pan out in the next few weeks…or months!

Oh yeah…yesterday was also the first time I was shod in running shoes for a longish run! Hey, I need to get used to them for this Sunday’s run after all. The ligament is still bothering me (as in I had trouble getting down the stairs this morning) and I may visit Mr Soon either this evening or tomorrow. E-YIKES!

I also heard from Joanne at Innovatez last night and they are happy to exchange my glue-came-off-from-the-first-big-toe Bikila for another pair. I will settle for their next shipment which should be at the end of the month – fingers crossed Vibram would have corrected this problem in the new shipment and fingers doubly crossed that they have new colours! In the meantime, I am planning on heading over to Brooks when I am at the Curve to trade in my hole-is-getting-bigger Adidas adizero with a racer (they are offering a RM150 discount up to 31 October). This should give me sufficient time to break in the shoes before the New Balance WR905 (NB WR905) goes kaput though I think it can hold till mid next year. The Adidas Tempo, which I absolutely have no love for (due to its narrow toe), will be relegated to a gym shoe and the NB WR905 for the occasional adiNation Training Runs.

Today is load up day or at least I try to eat a bit more on Thursdays after my hard runs on Wednesdays in addition to the cross training on the elliptical throughout the week. My inner thighs are slightly achy from yesterday’s workout – another excuse to load up!

No comments: