Thursday, July 22, 2010

adiNation Training Run – 21 July 2010

Attendees:
a) Lai
b) Fauzan
c) Adam

Distance: 4 laps * 2.3km = 9.2km (did not charge the battery on the Garmin)

Timing: 48:48 min for 5:18 - 5:19 min/km pace

Lap 1
I went into yesterday’s training determined to clock four laps in preparation for this weekend’s Shape Run in Singapore and did not leave disappointed. Yesterday’s goal was to get a “long-ish” run in for the week with timing being secondary. We started slowly and speedy-Gonzales Fauzan was “courteous” to keep pace with Lai and myself.

Lap 2
Adam joined us in the second lap and spent most of it pacing and chatting with Lai. I was slightly ahead of them (oh maybe 20 meters! LOL!) while Fauzan was about 50 meters ahead.

Lap 3
Fauzan was nowhere to be seen at this stage while Lai had dropped back quite a bit – I guess he was still plagued by Sunday’s Siemen’s Run. This left Adam and I pacing each other. By this stage, I was slightly fatigued and had slowed down – I thought this was odd since I did not think we went very fast in the 2.5 laps.

Lap 4
At the end of the third lap, Adam asked if I wanted to push ahead and I said yes and asked him to help me get through the last 2.3km. Thanks Adam! We were pacing each other until the last 1 km when he pulled ahead but I kept him in sight at 50 meters back. The last lap is always a toughie for me. I bumped into Wern Tian on the uphill/mini playground/Tapak A who was running in the opposite direction yesterday – his comment about my slow running spurred me to push ahead in the last 400 meters. To my surprise, I came in at 48:48 minutes – a PB! Too bad, Ronnie or Kei Ming were not around, else we could put this up in the Book of Records. Oh well, another mission completed.

I think the 2-day lay off from running (Sunday being my last run) helped tremendously but this is not unusual for me, as I have noticed that my performance falters if I do back-to-back runs. I woke up this morning feeling slightly fatigued but not overtly tired despite yesterday’s double training – so it could be eating or refueling enough and correctly, last night’s deep slumber or the “magical” powers of the Phiten.

No comments: