Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Run for My Lunch 2010

Run for My Lunch 2010 (RML) is a charity event organized by Ngee Ann Polytechnic School of Humanities. I used the run as an excuse to head down south since my last visit was for the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon (SCSM) almost two months back. Then again, as Andy pointed out, I do not need any runs to visit.

RML was held at the East Coast Park (ECP), which is an entirely flat terrain and which explains why the winners could cover the 6.4km route in 22 (male) and 25 (female) minutes respectively. I did it in 33:59 minutes for a pace of 5:22 min/km. As this was a non-competitive run, most of us took it easy; plus the pathways of ECP are even narrower than those in the Army Half Marathon and SCSM. Despite it being a charity event, the run started off on the dot (recall the last charity event – Run For Hope- started at least 30 minutes after its original schedule).
I started well and was pacing two secondary school girls up to kilometer 3. I was practically on my own after than. The checkpoint for return loop only came up after 3.5 km and I instantly knew that the route would be longer than the advertised 6 km. The 3km community runners joined us at the bridge near the waterway but since there was not too many of them in my path, I have no complaints. There was a bit of congestion at the last 200 metres when the kids’ dash merged with everyone but a quick “excuse me” helped smooth the path.

I think there were two water stations but I skipped them as I find it too difficult to drink and run simultaneously. I overheard from some of the runners that 7Up Revive were also provided at these stations. One of surprises at the end of the run was free Swensen ice creams for the kids – I found this to be a nice gesture. They also had the Ngee Ann “mini” band and Ngee Ann Idol perform while waiting for the runners to return before the prize presentations.
Before signing off, I would like to offer my congratulations to the students who managed to raise their targeted $50,000 as well as for the excellent organization of the run.

No comments: