Thursday, February 21, 2013

Jello Legs, anyone?

Someone was insane enough to hit the Taman Desa hills after yesterday’s heavy-duty. I wonder who that might be.

Taman Desa Hill Training – 21 February 2013

Route: Taman Desa
Distance: 6km (Garmin: 5.98km)
Timing: 33:08 for 5:32 min/km pace

Kenny was a bit worried about this morning’s run after yesterday’s near-asthmatic attack since he couldn’t find his inhaler. As a stop-gap measure, he smeared some Vicks Vapor Rub on his chest although I told him it might not work. It didn’t. With a strength training on the cards + yesterday’s workout (IOMS quads – see end of post) + sub-zero motivation due to IOMS + Kenny’s asthmatic breathing = recovery run.

Seputeh – foot of Taman Desa (1.677km; 9:47)
It was a cool, maybe even chilly-for-me, morning when we set off around 6:15. We were keeping pace until the turn off to Old Klang Road.

Climb to Taman Desa hilltop (1.794km; 10:17)
Quads on fire and I was keeping count on the number of hills before the downhill. Oh man! Hills on DOMS legs equal to “why aren’t we done with the hills yet???”, “how many more???”, “why did I come out this morning???”.

Taman Desa hilltop – to Old Klang Road via furniture mall (1.688km; 8:34)
This section couldn’t have come sooner!!!

Old Klang Road to house (0.819km; 4:28)
Let’s just get this done! Wait, should we speed up on the flats of the furniture mall and Old Klang Road or do we conserve the tank for the last bit (tank which is close to zero)?

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Dilemma for Thursday. Yes, we do need to make such pivotal executive decisions before 7am.

Back & Biceps Workout

I thought wrong! It wasn’t Shoulders when Adrian and I met up after my run. The morning went like this: row, pull-down, row, pull-down, repeat. For AT LEAST 5 sets of each. It’s days like these I wonder who’s a tougher taskmaster: Michael or Adrian.

Single sets of:
a) BB bendover row
b) LF cable lat pulldown (wide grip)
c) LF cable low row (narrow grip)
d) LF cable lat pulldown (short grip)
e) LF cable low row (wide grip)
f) LF preacher curl
g) AbsCrunch

Yeah, it didn’t take till noon before my back was screaming at me. And whose voice, I must add, is louder than the quads. Anyone know how to deal with incessantly belligerent screaming muscles?!?!?! Oh yeah, Adrian coined the term “IOMS” (Immediate Onset of Muscle Soreness) when I Whatsapp-ed him after lunch whining about my woes.

Thursday’s Mantra: 3Rs - Rest, Re-hydrate, Re-fuel.

No comments: