Thursday, August 26, 2010

adiNation Training Run – 25 August 2010

Attendees:

a) “Boss” Ronnie

b) “Group Lead” Kei Ming

c) Fong

d) Fauzan (who started and finished earlier due to Ramadhan obligations)

e) Vijay

f) Eileen

g) Sharon

h) Wern Tien (spotted at the end of our run)

Distance: 4 laps * 2.3km = 9.2km (9.13km on the Garmin)

Timing: 49:07 min for 5:23 min/km pace

Lap 1

I thought of taking it easy until Ronnie showed up – whenever he does, everyone has to be up-to-mark, no questions asked. For some odd reason, I was ahead of the group in this lap but I did not think I was that fast. My heart rate and breathing were steady. In fact, I thought was darn slow and could have upped the pace - I pulled back since everyone seemed to be taking it easy.

Lap 2

Ronnie and Fong pulled ahead of me after the third km though I managed to trail Fong for most of the lap.

Laps 3 and 4

I was running on my own but did not think I was pushing too hard and thought I kept to a slow and steady pace similar to the previous two laps. This was also why I was surprised I came in just after 49 minutes. I was using a lot of visualizations/markers and running straight through the curves and corners – hey, when push comes to shove, I will do anything to finish.

There is a lot of renovation work being done at Lake Gardens which make running tough – I had to be extra careful about potholes, loose stones, sand (as usual, Malaysian authorities are lax about putting up warning signs, lighting up the place in the early mornings/late evenings) and put up with huge amounts of smog.

For some odd reason, my quads were aching this morning – I kept to a slow and steady pace, did not have a training session with Michael yesterday morning and did not push that hard during the morning cardio session. I guess both Michael and Diane were right about the effects of a cardio or workout on developed muscles – even a simple or short duration workout can really work developed muscles. Hence, those ladies in my gym who are constantly “hogging” the elliptical or stepper machines are wasting their time if they do no strength train. Beats me how they can use the machine for 1.5 hours in the morning and come back in the evening for a similar amount of time. I kid you not! And that 1.5 hours – Michael told me about it; yes, he timed one of them one fine day. LOL!

No comments: