Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Tuesday’s Replacement & The Day I did 800lbs…or attempted to

Tuesday’s Replacement

Traffic wrecked havoc on our Monday’s workout and we ended up doing it yesterday. At the UNGODLY HOUR of 6. A.m., not p.m. This of course translates into getting up even earlier if I wanted to get my Buteyko done. Lo behold…and I wonder why I don’t own stock in Nestle/Nescafe, Starbucks, Coffee Bean, Illy etc. I'm still paying the price for yesterday's shenanigans.

5 minutes of warm up was all we could spare before diving into this

Supersets of:
a) Smith machine bench chest press (I need to break the stranglehold of 65lbs/130 lbs…soon; drop sets on the last one)
b) DB bench chest press

Supersets of:
c) Smith machine incline chest press (drop sets on the last one – PER USUAL i.e. hit the fatigue faster than you can breathe)
d) DB bench incline chest press

Supersets of:
e) LF cable chest fly
f) DB incline chest fly (are we seeing a theme here??? What’s with the DB for the second workout?!?!?!)

Supersets of:
g) TRX modified push-ups (with Michael saying “go lower, go lower”, the ENTIRE TIME)
h) Free-standing dips
i) Kettlebell pull-overs (only to discover that the black kettlebell is the largest one…AFTER we finish. FML moment.)

Single set of:
j) {Low} Reverse abs crunches

The Day I did 800lbs…or attempted to

Short 5km around the ‘hood to shake the legs out and warm up before meeting Michael at the gym. Naturally, I failed {miserably} at pacing myself or saving my legs before today’s leg workout. I never learn.

Major discovery! I actually pulled my left hip adductor on Sunday’s race; I had put it down to soreness but thought it was an odd muscle for it since the route was pancake flat [clue 1]; nothing excruciating on Monday and Tuesday and today is day 3 and it was still there [clue 2]; first 10 steps into this morning’s run, it nagged me fervently [clue 3] and any rational person would have pulled aside, bagged the run or slowed the pace. I did not, in fact, my pace increased. FML.

No wonder my hips were killing me during the race!!!

Right back to regular programming…

Single sets of:
a) EPIC hack squat (the 100lbs/side was obviously something Michael lulled me into believing we weren’t going heavy; typically it’s 200lbs?; I got sucked in because the final set morphed into a 400lbs/side i.e. 800lbs.)
b) Technogym leg press (let me tell you this…never, never, never ever fail to finish one set because it then means it won’t be counted and you’ll have to re-do it again…at a heavier weight. Worse bit…having to do it on the full weight stack.)
c) Technogym leg extension (ar since the mission today was “new weights”, why not start with the previous heaviest weight as the base)

Supersets of:
d) Nautilus Nitro Plus Hip Abduction (this was the point when we I realized I had pulled the left hip adductor because I couldn’t move the machine flap ONE INCH for the Hip Adduction [clue 4])
e) Walking lunges (hip adductor was cooperating…MILDLY which is to say, it was not an enjoyable “walk” [clue 5])

Single sets of:
f) Cybex prone leg curl (remember today’s mission?)
g) Cybex Eagle Abdominal

By the way, did I mention 800lbs and full weight stack? I had trouble making my way into the office today – that LESS than 100m slight incline road took forever.

No comments: